Monday, May 14, 2007

Making Google-y Eyes

Thanks again to D'arcy's comments from my past post, which led me to a U of C page, I discovered Google Page Creator. Like many good and smart companies, Google tried to diversify into the many fields available out there. While maintaining an "internet-based focus", they have acquired many programs such as Blogger. Many of them are freely available to the public.

I've just started creating the homepage for an eportfolio and I'm starting to like what they're offering. First of all it is a drag and drop system, so yay! ease of use. Another is that the interface is quite similar to using a word processing program. If you use Adobe Pagemaker or even something like PowerPoint to do some layouting, this will seem second nature to you. It is a big difference from eXe, even though they have the same baseline use.

The only downside I can think of right now is that you have to have a Gmail account to access the program. Yes, well, having a Gmail account is not necessarily a bad thing, especially with its ridiculously large storage space. It's slowly ticking up to 3 Gigs. Last time I checked it was around 2.8 GB. Oh right, downside. The downside is with everybody having multiple email accounts, you will need to have one more. Gmail accounts are only given through invites too. If you know somebody that has an invite then they can send you one and you can sign up. As for me, I still have 47 invites to go give out. Is that an indicator of something? hmmmmm...

No comments: