Thursday, May 3, 2007

UBC has stopped....(giving student webspaces)

I was looking to find ways to post the work I did on Pachyderm online. Similarly, my work on eXe once it's done needs to be posted online. I was talking to Brian Lamb the other day and he told me that UBC students should be able to access free student webspaces through the university. It got me really excited because as much as I mildly love UBC, it would be really nice if student eportfolios would have a UBC URL.

I looked into it and checked IT services. Guess what I found. UBC has stopped offering student webspaces because of many reasons. I think its a shame that the university has opted to rely on external providers for student websites. It's a lost opportunity to build another aspect of the community. As most students are becoming more adept with technology, the internet is becoming more and more a component of their social life. Creating personalized websites is another form of expression that students should have access to.

I understand the logistical and support problems related to this. However, I'm sure there's a way to get around and I just have to find out how.

By the way, there is the TAG/e-Learning Institute happening at UBC. If you're in the area, it might be interesting to check it out. Here's the poster I made for it.

No comments: