Tuesday, April 17, 2007

The 300 lbs. Pachyderm in the Room

I started a project in Pachyderm and little bit of explanation might be in order.

In Pachyderm, you are given templates of various screens that might suitable to the type of presentation you want to do. These screens can be linked together for a larger project. Once a screen is selected, you are brought to it's blueprint where authoring is as simple as colour by numbers.

The program has its highlights and its downsides. Of course the highlights are 1) I don't need to learn or write lines of code, (I am one of the most non-tech person in OLT) 2) "colour by numbers" style of authoring makes it easy to use and understand, 3) Using Flash makes it a little bit fancier than just scrolling up and down.

A Pachyderm Never Forgets
A screen of the presentation I made.

Now for the downsides *enter eerie symphonic music*. As D'arcy mentioned in his comment, Pachyderm strictly limits uploaded files to either JPEG/GIF images, audio, flash files, or videos. I only used images but even the JPEG format is strict. My work is primarily in Adobe Illustrator and/or Photoshop. I had to convert my files but Photoshop JPEGs are not supported for some reason. To get around this challenge, I imported the image into PowerPoint and then saved the slides again as JPEGs. Successful but a tedious process and image resolution, not that great! Maybe there's an easier way to do this.

A screen took me about 4 hours to make. Near the end, the connection was slowing d0wn for some reason. In order to create/upload a portfolio comparable to what I have in print-form would be a time-consuming endeavour. I would like to continue creating the project but time-constraints are ever-present.

Assessment:

Pachyderm can be quite a useful presentation for a student who has images from their work. They can either be event photos, created artwork, produced covers, etc. Some conversion is needed for different file formats. For students who primarily write during their work terms (e.g. proposal writers, policy analysts, etc.), the program is not ideally suited for them.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Zak,

Just checking on your research progress! Seems like you're experimenting on a few options - great! Finding the most versatile format would be ideal. Since much of what we would expect students to do involves written text and likely pdf documents.

Coby

Anonymous said...

Leather belts have become an crucial part of men and girls wardrobe both. They are no more employed just as to uphold pants, jeans or skirts from dropping off but are a huge leather accessory. Also their silhouette has altered a lot. Australian sheepskin boots are really a lot of the most recent style pieces of the final couple years. Pairs of UGGs are identified in almost all strategic location and on the world wide web shop. The tide has [url=http://www.dalinsell.co.uk/]Ugg Boots sale[/url]
swept the entire world of fashion.
When talking about that experience Mary thought: "In our law firm, any lawyer in Canada wears a shiny new shoes. Shoes, is a status symbol! There are only two achievable if someone wore broken shoes: Very first, he can not afford new shoes. Properly, he need to be a successful salesperson.
I was no longer an anorexic. Who am I? I could not just "be." My all or absolutely nothing considering took care of that for me. I was so mad at myself for gaining so considerably weight that I thought I would in no way get back to my so named goal weight of xx-xxlbs, so why even try? I failed, [url=http://www.vbboots.co.uk/]Ugg Boots cheap[/url]
I blew it, I'm weak, I'm fat.
Children adore the appear and feel of UGG boots, slippers and casual shoes. The all organic materials wear like iron, and fit like their own skin. Sheepskin's organic thermal properties keep feet toasty warm in the coldest weather, and cool when the weather gets warm.
Nonetheless, the deformation is not effortless to pressure. I have purchased a pair of the most costly. Is the pair of maps. Here are a a little quantity of clothes products a man must have in his arsenal: A good pair of trendy jeans. There are a lot of sorts of jeans. Make certain they harmonize your body kind.